14 August, 2013

2013 Book Review - August: Where Rainbows End

cecelia-ahern-where-rainbows-end1
Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern

I have to start by addressing this book's cover, it is hideous, truly awful. It isn't until I've come to write this review that I even realised what the cover looked like -- a sugary image, promising love & sparkle -- pass me a bucket! Whilst it's true we shouldn't judge books by their covers, literally, I, luckily, read this on the Kindle & so had no awful cover image to put me off. 

This book was recommended to me by a friend, I decided, given Ahern's reputation, that it would probably be a fairly easy read & therefore perfect for my holiday, in this respect I was right. However, this book is more than a sloppily written love story of fate & "true love", it is an interesting observation of the every day mundanity of human life, how love fits into that & how your life won't always take the course you think it will. This book is by no means a ground-breaking social commentary, but it is a lot better than the cover suggests.

The whole narrative is told through notes, letters, cards, text messages and e-mails. At first I thought it would be incredibly frustrating reading a whole novel like this, however, I soon got into it & as the story develops, and the protagonists get older, it actually becomes a very clever & intriguing way to unfold the plot. Yes, there is a love story, and yes, it does end "nicely", but this book, for me, was very true to life. There were parts that I could really relate to, such as losing a relative or experiencing disappointment when your life's plan doesn't quite work out, but it was also incredibly hopeful & showed that even when you are at your lowest there's always a different path to take, or another way you can improve your situation.

I'm not sure if I would want to read another of Cecelia Ahern's books, however, I would recommend this to other people, especially if, like me, they were looking for an easy holiday read.

Have you read any of Cecelia Ahern's books? What did you think?

MYSTRINGALING X


Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book when I read it! Granted, it took a while to get into, I'm not really a chick lit reader, but it was super cute and I cried...a lot! xx

    www.poptartsbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, once I got into it I really enjoyed it & I really liked the ending/how things worked out, it felt quite realistic to me :)

      XX

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a very interesting book to read, plus I love a good bit of romance :)

    xx

    http://fashion-nerdette.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you read it :) XX

      Delete

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I read every single one & always make time to reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...