22 May, 2013

2013 Book Review - May: The Hunger Games Trilogy

The Hunger Games Trilogy

This month's review (or should that say 'reviews'): The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

I originally picked up The Hunger Games on a whim whilst in Tescos (exciting I know). I didn't get round to reading it for about 2 months, but once I picked it up I could not put it down. Similarly I consumed the following two books, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, until I'd read all three in just over a week. I can't remember the last time I felt so captivated by a book & felt such an urge to read it at every spare moment that I had. The first book is fairly simple in its plot and themes but the sheer horror of children being selected to fight to the death for others' entertainment was truly disturbing to me. In a way this whole idea had already been explored in the Japanese film Battle Royale, but the part that I found most interesting is how the story was continued into a trilogy. Collins, herself, explains that it was never designed to be a trilogy but, in an act of rebellion at the end of The Hunger Games, there is no way that the protagonist, Katniss, could ever be allowed to live "happily ever after". The second and third instalments are essentially one story, bringing an, unsurprisingly, violent and bloody resolution to Katniss's rebellion. The books provide an insight into a believable and hellish dystopia, one of the reasons that the series was so readable.

I deliberately didn't watch the film of The Hunger Games when it came out at the cinema because film adaptations are never quite as good as the book, and having now seen the film, The Hunger Games is no exception. However, I can't say that I'm not looking forward to the film treatment of Catching Fire, out later this year (see the trailer below). 

Have you read any of The Hunger Games series? Or seen the first film? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below :)

MYSTRINGALING X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I read every single one & always make time to reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...