09 January, 2013

2013 Book Review - January: The Great Gatsby

A new year & a new book post, first up The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

gatsby collage

Many of you will have already read it, perhaps at school, perhaps for pleasure, but it's likely that you've come across it before (especially with the Leonardo DiCaprio/Baz Luhrmann film looming in the distance). For some reason I'd never got round to reading it before, but I'm so glad that I finally have. Not only is it fairly short, making it satisfyingly quick to read, it's also jammed full of beautifully written prose. The fact that it's quite short adds to this, I think, as it means that you get a full-fat meaty narrative; and the narrative itself is so addictive, after reading the first two chapters I couldn't put it down. At times it was a lot more unnerving than I thought it would be, I don't want to spoil any of the plot for those who haven't read it, but Gatsby wasn't at all like I'd imagined, I found reading about him occasionally quite uncomfortable. 
All that being said though, I thought it was an incredible book & if you haven't read it DO! 

Have you read Gatsby? What did you think? + if you haven't already, have a gander at the trailer for the upcoming film, I think it looks amaaaazing.


MYSTRINGALING X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I read every single one & always make time to reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...