21 November, 2012

If there's one book you must read... Week #33

Book #33 -- Me Before You by Jojo Moyes


Chosen by the lovely, Lucie.

What Lucie says about this book: 'Jojo Moyes’ Me Before You completely changed my perception of what Chick Lit is and my own attitude towards it. I gingerly accepted the book on loan from a friend, 5 months after completing my literature degree and only having been able to finish 2 books in the meantime. As soon as I started reading, however, I knew I would finish this one. It wasn’t really the storyline (it’s been done a hundred times in slightly different forms and in various mediums) but Moyes’ powers of observation and ability to realistically capture the spectrum of human emotion in trying circumstances deserves applause. Both in terms of everyday life and when faced with extreme stress, I found the book’s main character, Louise, endowed with speech and trains of thought I have seldom found so relatable in other literature. Although the book deals with a topical and highly controversial subject, the ending unfortunately saw all the loose ends tied up a little too conveniently in my opinion. Having said that, books do have to end somewhere and it caters for its audience and genre (see, still a little skeptical). All in all it was a very enjoyable and easy read and I’ve just started on her next one The Girl You Left Behind (don’t judge a book by its title!)'

Amazon blurb: 'Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane. Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that. What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.'

What are your thoughts on 'Chick Lit'? Personally, I shared Lucie's pre-conceived ideas about the genre but have also been pleasantly surprised (OK, Jackie Collins isn't perhaps your classic Chick Lit per se, but she does know how to write a good book!) Have you read anything by Jojo Moyes? What did you think?

If there's a brilliant book that you love, let me know why you think it's such a 'must read' & you could be recommending next week's book :)

Happy reading!

MYSTRINGALING X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I read every single one & always make time to reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...