25 September, 2012

The Pre-Raphaelites at Tate Britain

So yesterday I had a spur of the minute trip down to London to see my pal, Matthew. I'd seen the new Pre-Raphaelite exhibition advertised & got very excited indeed so off we went to Tate Britain!

 The extremely rainy train journey down to LDN




 I wasn't sure if you were allowed to take photos in the exhibition but I fell in love with this William Morris wallpaper.


Other Tate delights... 

 So wrong it's right: Pre-Raphaelite cats :D

If you're not familiar with the Pre-Raphaelites they're Victorian artists & writers who loved a bit of realism. A lot of their work was inspired by history: The Bible, Arthurian legend, Shakespeare's plays, as well as literature such as the works of Keats, Tennyson & Christina Rossetti. In 'the flesh' the works were just incredible, the detail in some of the pieces blew my mind, my favourites were...

(photos from Tate archive)

Ophelia by John Everett Millais

 Lady Lilith by Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Chatterton by Henry Wallis

Peacock and Bird carpet by William Morris

Isabella and the Pot of Basil by William Holman Hunt

After the exhibition we went to Selfridges to admire their crazy delights. I loved these cute stickers & little toadstools.



Not quite Pre-Raphaelite but fun nonetheless :) I hope you all had a good day yesterday despite the rain!

MYSTRINGALING X

7 comments:

  1. Ah your photos are amazing! I'm going to see this on Saturday and I'm so excited to go, they had a lot of influence over my final year exams last year (I did English too) :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the art & literature compliment each other so beautifully & all the symbolism in both: it blows my mind! You'll love the exhibition, we spent over 2 hours in there & didn't even realise how much time had passed until we came out :) XX

      Delete
    2. Me too, some of it is breathtaking, and its so cool to see characters come to life in such a beautiful way! Ah I can't wait now!! :) xx

      Delete
    3. Exactly :) hope you had a brilliant time XX

      Delete

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I read every single one & always make time to reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...