22 August, 2012

If there's one book you must read... Week #20

Book #20 -- A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin



Chosen by my pal, Ed :)

What Ed says: 'Any of the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books are great, A Storm of Swords is my favourite so far -- a healthy mix of drama, cliffhangers, battles and whores haha! B****cks to 50 Shades!'

Amazon blurb: 'Here is the third volume in George R. R. Martin’s magnificent cycle of novels that includes A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. As a whole, this series comprises a genuine masterpiece of modern fantasy, bringing together the best the genre has to offer. Magic, mystery, intrigue, romance, and adventure fill these pages and transport us to a world unlike any we have ever experienced. Already hailed as a classic, George R. R. Martin’s stunning series is destined to stand as one of the great achievements of imaginative fiction.

A STORM OF SWORDSOf the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King’s Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. . . .

But as opposing forces manoeuvre for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others—a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords. . .'


I've recently been really tempted to start reading the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels, deliberately not watching the tv series that's been made of A Game of Thrones (weeell you need to read the book first, non?) Have you read any of these books or seen the tv series? What did you think?

If this doesn't really sound like your cup of tea, what is? Let me know your 'must read' book in the comments below or via twitter :)

Happy reading!

MYSTRINGALING X

Buy from Amazon.

6 comments:

  1. You should definitely read the first book before watching the TV series.
    They are fantastic.
    x

    http://wondrous-marvellous-obsession.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to buy them up off Amazon, I've heard so many good things :) XX

      Delete
  2. I'm going to be starting this series soon. I have a couple of books I want to read before hand before I start this as it is a looooong series.

    I can't wait to read it :)

    Amy xx
    http://alittleboatsailing.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye I'm the same, I'm reading a Stephen King book at the moment but also need to start another one for the book club I go to (because I'm a middle-aged woman haha). What kind of books are you in to?
      XX

      Delete
    2. Mainly the fantasy genre, but I have tried to branch out a bit more and read other types of books. I'd like to give crime more of a go as well as historical fiction :) x

      Delete
    3. Oooh good stuff, I love historical fiction but have never really tried any fantasy so I think that's next one my list. If there's any books you think are definite 'must reads' let me know, I'm always looking for new suggestions for these posts :)
      XX

      Delete

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I read every single one & always make time to reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...