15 February, 2012

If there's one book you must read... Week #1

I love love love books: I'm a literature student, it's part of our DNA. With this in mind, I've decided to compile a list of books that I think everyone should read. I'm also going to ask people on twitter which books they think are 'must reads' & why.
So to get the ball rolling...


Book # 1 'A Classic' -- The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy




I've read this book so many times that my original copy is completely battered and extremely sad looking. Perhaps not one of Hardy's better known novels but still so so good! The novel centres around the characters inhabiting Egdon Heath, set of course in Hardy's Wessex. Like all Hardy's novels it is beautifully written, with strong, at times cinematic, descriptions of landscape and tragically ill-fated characters. The first time I read this book I couldn't put it down, it's full of cliffhangers and really readable. For those of you that like a happy ending include Book Sixth 'Aftercourses' in your reading, those who prefer an extremely tragic conclusion, stop at Book Fifth (as Hardy intended).
I absolutely love this book and urge you all to try it. Let me know what you think, and what is your 'must read' book :)

MYSTRINGALING X

Buy from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I read every single one & always make time to reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...